Home Forums Four-State Ozarks Area Ozark Member Introductions

• Ozark Member Introductions

Posted by Jay Zak on March 23, 2023 at 8:32 pm

Welcome to the Ozark (Four State area) Game Developers Group!

This Introduction discussion thread a space for you to share a little more about who you are and all the cool things you are working on!

Some questions interesting items may be:

• Who are you?
    • What is your career interests?
    • Are you currently working in industry/a profession or just a hobbyist?
    • Where do you plan to use your skills? Personally/professionally?

Thank you!

FYI

• Please do not post any personal information on this forum. You share your personal information here at your own risk.
    • Review CGDC’s core beliefs here: https://cgdc.org/core-beliefs

Our Core Beliefs

Jay Zak replied 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Jay Zak

March 23, 2023 at 9:54 pm

Hi, I’m Jay Zak!

I’m a game artist, basically I can create 3D or 2D assets, animate, and work on UI elements.

I’ve worked in the game industry but would like to use my skills to develop something that draws the user closer to God / to the truth.

I hope to collaborate with some of you talented people soon.

Here’s a link to the project I’ve been working on: The Sower

Thank you!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Jay Zak.
  • Ian Ferrari

March 29, 2023 at 6:30 am

Hi there!

Pleasure to know more about you and have you involved on CGDC.

Though I do not live in the Ozark area, my name is Ian and the wife and I have been led to start a nonprofit organization at FearlessNonprofit.org and part of that program is building a new bible-based trading card game that I have been working on four years now. Anyway, like you, just truly looking to serve the Lord, learn more and spread the gospel – all while having fun in life.

I really hope the best for your game and endeavors. Really seems like your heart is in the right place and that is truly appreciated. Keep it all up!

God bless 🙂✝️

• Jay Zak

March 29, 2023 at 7:17 pm

Hello Ian,

No worries about not being in the local area. We welcome anyone here.

Wow, I just took a look at your website. The Victory 7 Trading Card Game looks amazing!

They have a Magic the Gathering sort of look.

Did you design those? You must have a team of artists and designs.

Very cool!

Thank you for the warm welcome!

• Timothy Howe

August 23, 2023 at 3:43 am

Hello my name is Timothy. I only randomly found cgdc like a week ago. I’m excited to get to know fellow game makers who are brothers and sisters in Christ. Im 34 living in Winfield ks and my home church is Faith Ignited. I am working on a tabletop pen and paper rpg. Currently I am the sole creator, but will need to partner with artists before its finished. I have zero artistic skills

• Jay Zak

August 14, 2024 at 7:10 pm

Welcome Timothy!

Yeah, I’m a solo creator as well.

It is hard finding Christian programmers so I understand about trying to come up with a tabletop game.

I’m not much of a game designer so I can think of concepts and some game ideas but fleshing out an entire game and all of the components involved is exhausting.

I usually hit a dead end, I’m just an artist.

• Dalton Path

August 16, 2024 at 8:19 pm

Hello everyone,

I found CGDC about a year ago, but I have not been very active. I am encouraged to see that there is a community of like-minded individuals who wish to honor God in the domain of games. I personally have only ever playing games, but while transitioning careers a few years back, I realized that my real desire would be to subject my love for video games to service for Lord. I have not broken into this field yet, but I continually seek to do so.

As stated above, I wish to serve God first and foremost, but my decision to pursue Video games also has to do with some interesting insights into the “market.” Video games have grown to become the most popular source of media that the youngest generations consume. It’s also a sad fact that fewer and fewer of these same demographics will learn anything about the bible. This is a field that Christians must work in if we are to fulfill our responsibility to seek and save the lost.

For the past two years, in what free time I can spare I have been conceptualizing video games that directly tell stories in the bible. My approach is to deal directly with the source material “dressed” in fantasy. To mirror how one comes to Christ, I believe that simply telling the story, while providing a satisfying experience, is the best approach.

My largest project is telling the story of David’s life. His story is filled with action, drama, betrayal, intrgue, triumph, and failure. I believe his story to be compelling enough to really reach people and get them to perceive the bible in a way they would otherwise never experience. I’ve been focusing on game design, and have settled on a first person action RPG. Action games are my favorite, even moreso when they give me agency and tell a compelling story. I’ve also been crafting the narrative to fills in the blanks between what is stated in scripture, trying to build a cohesive and satisfying experience. My inspiration in this regard is “The Chosen,” where they only add what seems minimally necessary to fill in gaps and provide interesting perspectives on biblical characters. While not perfect, it has been an eye-opener in terms of telling stories from the Bible.

As I had indicated above, my primary capabilities are game design, quest design, and narrative. I unfortunately lack any competency in programming, and art is not my strongest suit! I have a background professionally in project management, and recently became a certified Professional Scrum Master I.

Apologies for the long post, and I appreciate any who read this far. Keep up the good work, and I pray your endeavors bear fruit!

• Jay Zak

August 17, 2024 at 12:34 pm

Welcome Mr. Dalton Path!

God can certainly use your game design/quest design skills to point people to Him.

The life of David is definitely full of challenges, promises, blessings, heartbreaking failures, etc.

I think if you want to learn some of the other skills this community should be willing to help you grow or at least provide some links to tutorials you can watch.

I’m not sure if there’s an internal wiki for this forum where people post “How-To” but maybe there’s something listed someone in one of the sections.

Anyway, thank you for being a part of us!